Monday, August 16, 2010

The Little Gem

Something told me to write a second email to the person that had the writing desk, so I did.  This morning I got a phone call from a woman that said she had never received the first email.   We set to meet up on my way home from work.

Turns out she did kind of know what she had. She didn't realize it was a writing desk (or a secretary), but someone had decided to turn it into possibly a speaker box or something similar at one point. They notched out vents in the back and the sides, and covered the sides with fabric. When I originally looked at the pictures, I thought this was caning.


But it's a sturdy piece, and I'm sure that I can just add some caning to the sides.  Not sure what I'm going to do about the particle board box they installed inside... maybe laminate it, maybe take it out (kind of afraid what I would find though), maybe just caulk and paint.  It does need to be completely stripped.  The woman had attempted refinishing it herself and got a little over-zealous with the poly, and it sagged everywhere!  But it's a beautiful piece that I'm sure will make someone very happy one day.




No comments :